The Milwaukee Bucks acquired Serge Ibaka as part of a four-way exchange on Thursday. Get to know the NBA veteran here.
How long has Ibaka been in the NBA?
This year is Ibaka’s 13th NBA season.
For which teams did Ibaka play?
Four. He played his first seven seasons with the Oklahoma City Thunder from 2009 through the 2015-16 season. He started the 2016-17 season with the Orlando Magic before being traded mid-season to the Toronto Raptors. He spent the next three seasons in Toronto, winning an NBA title on the way in 2018-19. Ibaka played last year with the Los Angeles Clippers.
What is Ibaka’s contract?
He is under contract until the end of this season.
Where is Ibaka from?
He was born and raised in Brazzaville, the capital of the Republic of Congo, a country in central Africa. He is also a Spanish citizen (he spent four years there playing basketball) and has represented the Spanish national team in international competitions, including the Olympics.
How do you say his name?
Her last name is pronounced ee-BAHK-ah. His first name is pronounced “Surge” as in “surge protector”.
Why is Ibaka famous? Blocking shots.
Ibaka is known for blocking shots and protecting rims, which should give the Bucks an extra defensive boost in the paint with Brook Lopez still out with back injury.
Ibaka led the league in blocks in the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons with 3.7 and 3.0 blocks per game respectively.
Ibaka’s 1,745 career blocks are second most among all active players, behind only Dwight Howard of the Los Angeles Lakers. He’s 26th all-time in blocked shots and with three more, he’ll pass Artis Gilmore on the list.
He led every NBA player through the 2010s in blocks.
How tall is Ibaka?
6 feet 10
How old is Ibaka?
32 years old
What are Ibaka’s stats this season?
6.6 points per game, 4.3 rebounds, 1.0 assists, 0.7 blocks, 49% field goal, 38.7% three-pointers, 69% from the free throw line (35 games)
What are Ibaka’s career stats?
12.3 points per game, 7.2 rebounds, 0.8 assists, 2.0 blocks 51.3% field goal, 36% three-point, 75.8% from the free throw line (884 games)
What is Ibaka’s nickname?
My fuzzy, Air Congo, Serge Protector
Who is Ibaka’s family?
Ibaka is one of 18 children and both of his parents were basketball players (his father played professionally in Africa and for the Republic of Congo national team. His mother was a member of the Democratic Republic of Congo national team She died when Ibaka was 8 years old.
He was a child during the Second Congo War, the biggest war in modern African history. During this period of civil unrest, her father was imprisoned for working in a port across the border from neighboring Democratic Republic of Congo, essentially being on the wrong side of the battlefield. Serge’s life story was told in a story published in The Oklahoman while a member of the Thunder.
Other facts about Ibaka including how many languages he speaks and his cooking show
– Three-time all-defensive first-team member (2012-14)
– He speaks four languages (English, French, Spanish, Lingala)
– Ibaka has a cooking show on YouTube called “How Hungry Are you?” The show started in 2019. He makes his teammates try unique dishes he prepares. It is a must see.
– Her fashion, especially her scarves. He teamed up with Nobis, a famous Canadian premium outerwear brand, to design a genderless collection that includes a parka, jacket, vests, hats, scarves and more.
– Ibaka dated R&B singer, songwriter and actress Keri Hilson (2012-16) as well as Angela Simmons (2017-18), who starred in the reality TV series “Run’s House” which chronicled the life of family of Joseph Simmons, a former rapper and hip-hop music pioneer.